Enquiries
+44 (0)20 7430 9811
  • Mise en Place

    Specialist recruiter to the Catering and Hospitality Industry. Our values: Professionalism, Integrity, Flexibility, Partnership

    chef
  • Mise en Place

    Specialist recruiter to the Catering and Hospitality Industry. Our values: Professionalism, Integrity, Flexibility, Partnership

    lady chef
  • Mise en Place

    Specialist recruiter to the Catering and Hospitality Industry. Our values: Professionalism, Integrity, Flexibility, Partnership

    chef, waiter
  • Mise en Place

    Specialist recruiter to the Catering and Hospitality Industry. Our values: Professionalism, Integrity, Flexibility, Partnership

    bar man
21-tips-private-personal-chefs

21 Tips for Private or Personal Chefs

For those who are considering being a Personal or Private Chef, there are many considerations to take into account. Below are a few tips to help you on your way.

  1. Know your client, build relationships and trust.
  2. Learn your client’s needs for privacy and the balance between being there for them but not being in the way.
  3. Research, research, research your intended client/s and food options in that area. They may have specific food needs, so its important to ensure you are completely aware of what you can and can’t make for them.
  4. 20% of being a Personal Chef will be about food and the other 80% is about running a successful business.
  5. Invest in yourself, as much as possible, keep learning new techniques, trends and go to short courses when you can.
  6. Be the ‘real’ you in person & across any public forum or platform such as your website, Facebook, Twitter and Social Media overall.
  7. Reliably deliver what matters: an experience that serves your client’s needs.
  8. Blow them away with your food. Be creative and think outside the box. Be the expert.
  9. Love people and this is often hard work, so you have to love what you do.
  10. Stretch your body regularly, wear good shoes, get roller bins for your pots and pans, eat a good breakfast.
  11. Wear your chef’s coat when you go grocery shopping; even if you are shopping for yourself. People get curious and it will make for good conversation!
  12. Work on yourself every day even if it is just something small. Always give a little bit more than expected.
  13. Enjoy what you do and protect your passion.
  14. Believe in yourself and your ability to constantly deliver top quality. This will show through to your clients and they will believe in you.
  15. How you present yourself and your business is very important, first impressions do mean a lot. Respect your clients and their homes and most important pass on your passion for food.
  16. Make sure you join at least one Professional Association so that you are in touch with the latest trends as well as network with other professionals who do similar work as you.
  17. Know that as a Private or Personal Chef you are working in the client’s personal home, this means respect of privacy and the highest integrity.
  18. You may be asked to do tasks beyond the call of duty, think about how you would handle this and discuss this with your client.
  19. Always keep cleanliness and sanitisation at the top of your priority.
  20. Consider and respect your own personal time, ensure you discuss this with your client so that you also have a work/life balance.
  21. Never, never give up!

For Personal or Private Chef services or if you are looking for work in this area please contact our office (in UK) 020 7430 9811 or (outside UK) 0044 20 7430 9811. Or email us at: info@miseenplace.co.uk

 

Share

Post to Twitter

Leave a Reply

Search Our Vacancies

Latest Vacancies